Just how in control of a historic district is the Landmarks Preservation Commission? The answer is very in control, as illustrated by one recent approval in the Flatiron District. Think of the commission as a curator.
A NoMad hotel will be getting a facelift. The Landmarks Preservation Commission recently approved work to be done at the Broadway Plaza Hotel, located at 1155 Broadway, in the Madison Square North Historic District.
As this month got underway, we brought you the unfortunate news regarding the landmark Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava at 15 West 25th Street, designed by Richard Upjohn, the architect of the Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. The 1855 building, which was the city’s only house of prayer servicing the Serbian Orthodox community, was reduced to a charred stone shell on the evening of May 1, just hours after the Orthodox Easter celebration. While the church is collecting donations for reconstruction, the authorities are investigating the fenced-off site for the cause of the conflagration, while engineers keep an eye on the ruined building’s stability. The building is a New York City landmark and is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Although the city’s laws protect the building from further demolition, the stone shell may be torn down if ultimately deemed dangerously unstable. Fortunately, the walls appear to be structurally sound for the time being, though serious reinforcement work would be permitted only after the investigations are complete.
The May 1 celebration of Eastern Orthodox Easter was marred by the tragic fire at the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava at 15 West 25th Street, which reduced the landmark building to a charred stone shell. Aside from minor smoke inhalation by the church caretaker, no one was injured in the four-alarm blaze. The same cannot be said for the church building itself, which was reduced to a charred ruin.
The Neo-Gothic high-rise at 212 Fifth Avenue has occupied a wedge-shaped plot just north of Madison Square Park since 1912. It once held furniture and garment manufacturers, who had their offices on the upper floors and massive showrooms on the lower ones. Now, Madison and Thor Equities are converting the 24-story building to condos, and they’re restoring the landmarked limestone facade and cornices in the process. YIMBY recently toured the property and got a close-up look at the restoration.