DXA Studio will again appear before the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) with updated plans to renovate and expand a landmarked warehouse building near Union Square. The property is located at 827-831 Broadway and was formerly the home of artists Willem and Elaine de Kooning.
DXA Studio has revealed plans to renovate the façade of a landmarked warehouse building in Union Square, Manhattan. Located at 827-831 Broadway, the property is the former home of artist Willem de Kooning and is recognized for its ornate cast-iron and marble façade.
For a third time, DXA Studio approached the Landmark Preservation Commission with a proposed design for 827-831 Broadway, a landmarked building in the Union Square area. The latest design is a large departure from the faceted glass of previous proposals. Several major alterations have occurred to drastically change the entire project to appease the LPC, ultimately leading to approval this past Tuesday.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission has refused a proposed addition to 827-831 Broadway for the second time, obliging its designers DXA Studio to reimagine their approach once more. The plan would add offices, retail, and community space inside and above two Italianate structures built between 1866 and 1867. The source of the controversy is the addition of four floors on top of the historic buildings. Samson Klugman of Quality Capital and Leo Tsimmer of Caerus Group purchased the pair in 2015 for $60 million. They initially filed permits for a 300-foot-tall commercial tower, but that was stopped when the LPC granted the extant structures landmark status.
Just South of Union Square, on Broadway between East 12th and East 13th Streets, there are two Italianate-inspired buildings from 1866 and 1867, at 827-831 Broadway. Back in 2015, the sites had been purchased for $60 million by the real estate investors Samson Klugman of Quality Capital, and Leo Tsimmer of Caerus Group. They had initially filed permits for a 300-foot-tall commercial space, but that was stopped when the Landmarks Preservation Commission awarded landmark status for the 150-year old construction.