Full demolition permits have been filed for 43 West 39th Street in Midtown, Manhattan. According to the filing, the site is owned by Allied Partners. It currently houses a five-story mixed-use building with four residential units and two commercial units. The 55-foot-tall structure was built in 1910.
Back in August of 2012, CUNY’s Stella and Charles Guttman Community College welcomed its inaugural class at the seven-story, 91,335-square-foot building at 50 West 40th Street – the annex portion of the 23-story American Radiator Building, an individual landmark, at 40 West 4t0th Street – in Midtown. Now, the school is planning to move to a larger four-story, CUNY-owned building at 445 West 59th Street once its lease expires in 2020. According to The Real Deal, Allied Partners, the owner of 50 West 40th Street, will demolish the annex building for, presumably, a new development. In 2010, a 300,000-square-foot mixed-use building, reportedly designed by Norman Foster’s Foster + Partners, was proposed at the site. At the time, the development assemblage included the properties at 54 West 40th Street and 43 West 39th Street. It’s not known if the same footprint will be utilized this time around.