Permits Filed: 26-Story Residential Tower in Jamaica, 147-20 94th Avenue

147-20 94th Avenue, image via Google Maps147-20 94th Avenue, image via Google Maps

The city rezoned downtown Jamaica in 2007, just before the recession swept away development prospects and funding that might have improved the neighborhood’s streets and schools. But now development in the area has bounced back, and projects like the Crossing at Jamaica Station will bring hundreds of new apartments to the desolate industrial area south of the Jamaica railyards.

New building applications have been filed for a second big high-rise residential project near Jamaica’s transit hub. Harlem-based Artimus Construction wants to develop a 26-story apartment building at 147-20 94th Avenue, between Sutphin Boulevard and 148th Street. It would hold 380 apartments spread across 299,062 square feet of residential space, with average units of 787 square feet.

Residential would begin on the second floor, with nine units, followed by 19 units each on the third through fifth floors, 16 each on the sixth through 24th floors, and 10 units on the 25th floor. Several units would have private terraces, and there would also be a shared roof deck on the top floor. Amenities would fill the second floor, like a yoga room, children’s play room, exercise room, and another communal terrace. And the ground floor would host a 58-car garage, along with the lobby.

The building will likely be rentals, and the developers get to build bigger in exchange for including below-market units. The city requires that at least 20 percent of the apartments, or 76 units, rent at affordable rates. The other 80 percent will be market-rate.

GF55 Partners will be responsible for the design.

The project will be a huge boon for this area, which is still fairly industrial and low-slung. Jamaica is one of the most affordable corners of Queens, and more units here will mean more reasonably priced apartments for working and middle-class families. And the 25,000-square-foot development site is only a few minutes from the Jamaica train station, which has the E, J, and Z trains, the LIRR, and the AirTrain to JFK. Several hotels are also planned for the neighborhood, including a 27-story Hilton Garden Inn.

The site is currently home to a collection of one- and two-story brick industrial buildings, which don’t have any demolition permits on file yet. None of the properties have changed hands recently, but we expect that a sale will hit the public records in the next few months.

Subscribe to YIMBY’s daily e-mail

Follow YIMBYgram for real-time photo updates
Like YIMBY on Facebook
Follow YIMBY’s Twitter for the latest in YIMBYnews

TFC Horizon

2 Comments on "Permits Filed: 26-Story Residential Tower in Jamaica, 147-20 94th Avenue"

  1. Annette Vaz | April 29, 2016 at 3:42 pm |

    All the these wonderful projects happening in jamaica, it makes me glad that I stayed in jamaica for 70 years. I look forward to the revitilation of Jamaica it’s all good. I do have one issue though, what is being done regarding the parking , as it stands now I can never get out of my drive way and it’s only going to get worse. Please tell me that there will be parking garages built also.

  2. Edith Stephens | January 14, 2017 at 4:15 pm |

    How soon well the building be done and how do you apply for an appointment I ask this because every time a new building go up in can never get in

Comments are closed.