The Rockwell Group is set to appear before the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission in defense of its proposed alterations to The Town Hall theater. Located in the heart of Midtown at 123 West 43rd Street, the structure first opened in 1921 and has retained its original exterior massing and design for nearly a century.
The design team has released architectural drawings that reveal the alterations, which are modest in scale and pertain completely to the installation of new exterior lighting at the ground floor marquee and within the façade’s ornamental arch work, as well as new fixtures in front of the building’s founding plaque and cornice uplighting. The most challenging aspect of the project is limiting the number of penetrations into the historic façade.
The Town Hall first served as a meeting space for the League for Political Education, which fought for the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment granting women the right to vote. Since that time, The Town Hall has served as a venue for educational programs, activist gatherings, musical performances, as well as high-profile talks, broadcasts, and interviews. In 1980, the structure was officially added to the National Register of Historic Places.