The Landmarks Preservation Commission is reviewing proposals to renovate and refurbish the façade of a historic bath house in Manhattan’s East Village. The property is located at 538-540 East 11th Street and today operates as Bath House Studios, a professional photography studio and events space.
The structure was originally designed and completed by architect Arnold William Brunner in 1905 and debuted as the Free Public Baths of the City of New York. The facility closed its doors in the 1950s and was later designated a New York City landmark in March 2008 for its well-preserved Neo-Italian Renaissance façade.
Proposals from Murdock Solon Architects include a thorough cleaning and repair of the front elevation along East 11th Street. The project team will also replace existing lanterns with modern flame-lit fixtures, install a new metal gate at the front entrance, replace windows on the first floor and mezzanine levels, and install new treads and handrails at entryway stairs.
The proposals also call for minor refurbishments within the building including a new A/C unit, new wood flooring, and the reorientation of the kitchen area.
Since receipt of the proposals on October 26, 2020, the commissioners have not publicly responded to the architect’s plans.