The Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) recently granted Trinity Church necessary approvals to modify signage on the grounds of both the historic church and cemetery grounds at 75 Broadway. This includes digital displays, flagpole signage, and bronze placards.
The majority of the new signage will be welded to an existing fence along Broadway that was originally constructed in 1827. This includes two standard message boxes that will display and protect physical notices and two digital signage monitors. The monitors will both be 44 inches wide and 25 inches tall and will display a slideshow of upcoming events, general information, uplifting messages, and general information. The majority of the slides will be static images and will not be accompanied by an audio component.
The brightness of the screens is designed to automatically increase or dim depending on outdoor light levels and the time of day. The output will be further dimmed between 11 P.M. to 6 A.M. If the church is hosting an evening event that runs past 11 P.M., the signage will be dimmed following the event.
The proposals also call for a host of modest updates including updating flagpole signage along Broadway, the removal of bronze signage along Trinity Place, and updating signage within the historic Trinity Church Cemetery at the corner of Trinity Place and Rector Street.
To complete the project, Trinity Church again called upon Murphy Burnham & Buttrick Architects to draft and deliver proposals to the LPC. Earlier this year the studio revealed a polarizing new design for church’s historic stained-glass window.