The original structure at 1260 Bergen Street was completed in the 1970’s and sits squarely within the Crown Heights North Historic District. The District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 and today encompasses 1,019 buildings.
Proposed alterations on the exterior of the building include the reconditioning and repair of the existing brick facade, a new ADA accessible entrance ramp, and improved lighting and signage at the front of the building. Plans also include a replacement of the existing roof and HVAC systems.
Inside the hall of worship, the scope of renovation includes the removal and replacement of existing walls to both modernize the building and to improve internal organization. The building’s entrance will receive a new set of doors to accommodate the ADA-compliant ramp. Lobby areas will be reduced to include a new coat room, a new office, and a smaller multi-purpose room. Within the chapel auditorium, the pulpit area will be slightly expanded forward and receive new boundary walls and stair systems.
Original proposals included an entire replacement of the building’s red brick masonry, which was perhaps too drastic of an alteration for the LPC jury. Construction is expected to begin once approvals have been granted by the city’s commission.