Construction Nearly Complete For 338 West 36th Street in Midtown, Manhattan

Rendering of 338 West 36th Street

Back in June of 2015, the McSam Hotel Group disclosed plans to incorporate a portion of the façade of a six-story Gothic church, at 334 West 36th Street into a new hotel development. Today, construction is nearly complete, with interior fit outs underway. Contrary to the depiction in the rendering, it appears the old Gothic church was completely razed, with a facsimile of the facade replacing the extant original.

338 West 36th Street, photo by JC_Heights

Upon completion, the 28-story property will include a 286-key Marriott F airfield Inn & Suites and a 280-key Marriott SpringHill Suites.

338 West 36th Street, photo by JC_Heights

The Christ Church Memorial building was originally completed in 1905, and included a parish house, a Sunday school hall, classrooms, a library, a gymnasium and a small bowling alley. Following outcry from local preservationists, the McSam Hotel Group agree to rebuild demolished portions of the church to resemble the pre-existing facade.

Completion is expected by 2019 following nearly two years of construction.

Subscribe to YIMBY’s daily e-mail

Follow YIMBYgram for real-time photo updates
Like YIMBY on Facebook
Follow YIMBY’s Twitter for the latest in YIMBYnews

TFC Horizon

5 Comments on "Construction Nearly Complete For 338 West 36th Street in Midtown, Manhattan"

  1. Please pardon me for using your space: Very serious attractive appearances on the structure, be equal in front.

  2. That is among the worst of McSam’s architectural abominations. Talk about value engineering. They are the worst.

  3. Wake the f*** up City of New York! The “Greatest City in the World” shouldn’t let this type of thing happen. What an appalling joke!

  4. This is bad, but it’s turning out better than the bizarre rendering.

  5. While MCB4 had been in discussion with the Landmarks commission regarding this site and others in Hudson Yards Special District, the Commission unfortunately did not designate city landmarks in this part of Community District 4. In the course of amicable and cooperative discussion between MCB4 and the hotel developer, the developer actually agreed both to maintain 75% of the church’s façade and rebuild the remaining 25% using salvaged elements into the new hotel development. The hotel had already been redesigned and the historic façade had been shored and braced in order to be preserved. Neither MCB4 nor the developer desired to see the preserved façade be demolished. MCB4 would have appreciated for the DOB and DCP working with the developer to arrive at a compliant streetwall solution that would have kept the historic façade in place and would have avoided demolition. Too bad this hasn’t happened.

Leave a Reply to Steve Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.