Marin Architects has revealed potential plans to expand and convert a century-old commercial building located in a buzzing corner of Washington Heights, Manhattan. Formerly known as the Jumel Building, the structure was originally completed in 1911 by famed American entrepreneur Frank W. Woolworth.
Glass is starting to rise at 260 Kent Avenue, and there’s something strangely pleasing about the new façade. The clean pre-cast concrete panels are shockingly white, and have deeply set back windows. The molecular pattern and forms of sugar crystals inspired the unusual design, as an homage to the Domino Sugar Factory that used to dominate the Williamsburg waterfront.
Permits have been filed for a single-story commercial structure at 110 East 125th Street in Harlem, Manhattan. The site is located on the same block as the 125th Street Metro-North train station, and the 125th Street subway station serviced by the 4, 5, and 6 trains. The Durst Organization is listed as responsible for development.
Once the site of the electronic and music store J&R, 25 Park Row has risen tremendously quick above City Hall Park and the Lower Manhattan skyline in the past year alone. Excavation and foundation work only began in 2017, but the halfway mark for construction was reached in early August. Since then, a new rendering of the 49-story and 665-foot residential skyscraper has been revealed, and work has progressed to the final upper floors directly below the extruded crown that tops the building.
With the Hudson Yards and Manhattan West mega developments in Midtown dominating the news, it is easy to forget one sizable project just a block away. Hudson Commons is a major transformation of an eight-story warehouse built in 1962. An additional 17 floors will be added atop the black masonry-clad tower, bringing 700,000 square feet of new office space to the neighborhood. Cove Property and Baupost Group are responsible for the development.