As this month got underway, we brought you the unfortunate news regarding the landmark Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava at 15 West 25th Street, designed by Richard Upjohn, the architect of the Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. The 1855 building, which was the city’s only house of prayer servicing the Serbian Orthodox community, was reduced to a charred stone shell on the evening of May 1, just hours after the Orthodox Easter celebration. While the church is collecting donations for reconstruction, the authorities are investigating the fenced-off site for the cause of the conflagration, while engineers keep an eye on the ruined building’s stability. The building is a New York City landmark and is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Although the city’s laws protect the building from further demolition, the stone shell may be torn down if ultimately deemed dangerously unstable. Fortunately, the walls appear to be structurally sound for the time being, though serious reinforcement work would be permitted only after the investigations are complete.
YIMBY has covered the evolution of 281 Fifth Avenue extensively, first posting concept renderings that surfaced all the way back in 2014. Now, the full design has been posted to the site, as per the YIMBY Forums. The building is being developed by the Victor Group in joint venture with Lendlease, and it’s being designed by Rafael Vinoly. DOB records indicate it will rise 52 floors and 708 feet to its highest occupied floor, with the roof topping-out 728 feet above street level. There will be 7,927 square feet of commercial space at the base, topped by 209,417 square feet of residential space, to be divided amongst 141 condominiums. Completion is tentatively anticipated for 2018, and while the site’s old occupants have been demolished, there is currently a stop-work order in effect.
Long Island-based Jonico Construction has filed applications for a three-story, six-unit residential building at 1602 East 15th Street, in southern Midwood, located on the corner of Avenue P, a block from the Kings Highway stop on the B/Q train. The structure will measure 6,787 square feet, and its residential units should average 848 square feet apiece. There will be two units per floor, and based on the average size of the apartments, they could either be rentals or condominiums. There will be three off-street parking spaces next to it. Paul Lombardi’s Brooklyn-based Design Studio Associates is the architect of record. The 38-foot-wide, 3,800-square-foot lot is currently occupied by a two-story house. Demolition permits were filed in December.
Co-working and office space provider The Yard is converting the three-story, 24,800-square-foot former industrial building at 157 13th Street, in Gowanus, into modern office space. The company recently signed a lease for the entire property, according to Commercial Observer. After construction, the building will boast conference rooms, art installations, keycard access, a rooftop terrace, and a 1,900-square-foot café. The structure will also be restored and will see new windows, polished floors, exposed brick, and skylights. Completion is expected in November of this year. The property, located at the corner of Third Avenue, is located four blocks from the 4th Avenue-9th Street stop on the F/G/R trains.
Trans World Equities has filed applications to redevelop the two four-story commercial buildings at 308-310 Canal Street, in TriBeCa, into a six-story, eight-unit mixed-use structure. The buildings will get a two-story, 3,554-square-foot vertical expansion. Once complete, the redeveloped building will measure 13,776 square feet. There will be 2,146 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, followed by residential units on the second through sixth floors. The units should average 1,454 square feet apiece, indicative of condominiums, and the top two floors will house two duplex apartments. Paul A. Castrucci’s Lower East Side-based architecture firm is the architect of record. The properties are located within the TriBeCa East Historic District, which means the Landmarks Preservation Commission will have to approve the expansion. Curbed NY reported on the project.