The South Bronx neighborhoods of Melrose and Morrisania have become ground zero for new affordable housing development. Now another new affordable project is slated for the area, in the transit-starved heart of Morrisania at 3365 3rd Avenue.
Last year, ground was broken and new renderings were released for the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church planned at the also-under-construction Liberty Park, an elevated lot to the south of the World Trade Center, in the Financial District. The New York Times now reports the drum-shaped structure is rising and will be constructed with “white Pantelic marble, from the same vein in Greece that was quarried to construct the Parthenon.” Santiago Calatrava is designing, and completion of the sanctuary and park is expected in 2017.
Long Island City-based Crescent Street Construction Corp. has filed applications for a five-story, 10-unit residential building at 104-22 Astoria Boulevard, in East Elmhurst, a few minutes from La Guardia Airport. The building will total 7,550 square feet, and units will probably be rentals, averaging 755 square feet. Long Island-based Anthony Hatziioannou is the applicant of record, and demolition permits were filed for the existing 2.5-story structure this past summer.
Property owner Avraham Benhamo has filed applications for a four-story, eight-unit residential building at 1845 Park Place, in Ocean Hill, nine blocks from the C train’s stop at Ralph Avenue. The building will measure 5,600 square feet in total, and units will average 700 square feet apiece, indicative of rentals. Long Island-based Shahriar Afshari is the applicant of record, and the lot is currently vacant.
Great Neck-based Shelter Rock Builders has filed applications for a four-story, four-unit residential building at 1355 Plimpton Avenue, in Highbridge, seven blocks from the 167th Street stop on the 4 train. The building will measure 4,769 square feet in total, which means full-floor units will measure 1,192 square feet; the fourth-floor unit will also feature a fifth-floor penthouse. Queens-based Gerald Caliendo is the architect of record, and the site’s former two-story house was demolished in the 1990s.