Construction has passed the halfway point on 199 Chrystie Street, a 14-story, 39,188-square-foot condominium building on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Progress has been swift since YIMBY’s last visit in April 2019, when excavation was still underway. Located near the intersection of Chrystie Street and Stanton Street, the project is designed by R. Wade Johnson Design and is being developed by KD Sagamore Capital, which purchased the plot for $20 million. Two buildings, 199 and 201 Chrystie Street, were demolished to clear the way for the new development.
The Hudson County Improvement Authority has revealed new renderings of a sprawling courthouse complex designed by award-winning architect Rafael Viñoly. Set to debut in Jersey City by 2023, the Frank J. Guarini Justice Complex will replace the existing Hudson County Administration Building at 595 Newark Avenue with a mix of judicial spaces and public grounds.
Permits have been filed for an eight-story mixed-use building at 1718 President Street in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Located between Utica Avenue and Rochester Avenue, the lot is two blocks south of the Utica Avenue subway station, serviced by the 3 and 4 trains. Anshel Friedman under the 1720 Ventures LLC is listed as the owner behind the applications.
Recently, new developments and re-zonings promising community and retail amenities alongside thousands of new affordable housing units have been stymied in Two Bridges and Inwood. Now, plans for substantial injections of the aforementioned components by the Olnick Organization at Harlem‘s Lenox Terrace have been attacked as well. Spearheaded by Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, the latest effort constitutes a contemporary example of redlining, and is an explicit violation of the National Civil Rights Act of 1968.
YIMBY went to check out 3 St. Mark’s Place in the East Village, where an eight-story mixed-use office building is set to rise. Approved by the New York City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission in the summer of 2019, the nearly 54,000-square-foot project is designed by Morris Adjmi Architects and developed by Real Estate Equities Corporation. In addition to construction of the new structure at the intersection of St. Mark’s Place and Third Avenue, plans also call for exterior alterations to an adjacent historic landmark at 4 Saint Mark’s Place, known as the Hamilton Holly House.